The rise of social media and the ubiquity of the internet mean that people are more used to immediate gratification than ever. As a marketer, you can take advantage of this faster communication by reaching out to leads and customers through various channels in order to speed the sales cycle or maintain customer loyalty.
These 21 statistics show why the strategic use of digital marketing (social media, blogs and email) can boost revenue and profits more than non-digital methods:
- Both B2B and B2C marketers use an average of 6 social media platforms to distribute content.
- Top B2B platforms: LinkedIn (91%), Twitter (85%), Facebook (81%), YouTube (73%), Google+ (55%), and SlideShare (40%)
- Top B2C platforms: Facebook (89%), Twitter (80%), YouTube (72%), LinkedIn (71%), Google+ (55%), and Pinterest (53%)
– Content Marketing Institute 2013
- Among leading companies, 70% rate inbound site traffic from social media activity to be “valuable” or “very valuable.” – Aberdeen Group 2013
- By spending as little as 6 hours per week focused on social media marketing, 64% of marketers see lead generation benefits, and nearly half say their marketing expenses have decreased. – Social Media Examiner 2013
- 72.6% of salespeople using social media outperformed those sales people not using social media. Of the 21.7% of salespeople who said they were not using social media, 18.9% said they didn’t see the value and 45% said they didn’t understand it. – A Sales Guy Consulting 2013
- Experience matters: Marketers who had 2 or more years’ experience in social media marketing cited the following as directly attributable to social media.
- Increased exposure for their business (95%)
- Increased website traffic (81%)
- Improved sales (53%)
- Growth of business partnerships (62%)
- Increased lead generation
- Improved search rankings (62%)
– Social Media Examiner 2013
- 94% of B2B marketers use LinkedIn to distribute content, making it the social media platform used most often. – Content Marketing Institute & MarketingProfs 2014
- On average, brands receive 39 messages for every 1000 Facebook fans and 60 messages for every 1000 Twitter followers. – Sprout Social Sep 2013
- 4 in 5 social media messages that require a response by a brand (e.g., questions) go unanswered. The average response time for brands that respond to consumers’ social media messages: 11.3 hours. – Sprout Social 2013
- Companies that invest a weekly minimum of 6 hours on social media marketing see:
- Increased lead generation (64%)
- Increased search rankings (60%)
- Increased website traffic (78%)
– Social Media Examiner 2013
Blogging and E-mail
- B2B companies that regularly maintain a blog generate, on average, 67% more leads per month than non-blogging companies. – Top Rank Marketing 2013
- 79% of B2B marketers rate blogs as the most effective tactic for driving their top goal (lead generation). For B2C marketers, it’s 74% (brand awareness). – Content Marketing Institute 2013
- Email marketing has an ROI of 4,300%. – Direct Marketing Association 2013
- Email marketing was reported as the #1 most-effective tactic for lead nurturing by top-performing B2B marketers (defined as those who reported exceeding annual revenue goals). – Forrester Research 2013
- Email is ranked as the #1 preferred communication channel by consumers for initial introduction to a product/service, learning about a product/service, and post-purchase follow-up about a product/service. – The Economist Intelligence Unit 2013
- Triggered email messages average 70.5% higher open rates and 152% higher click-through rates than “business as usual” marketing messages. – Epsilon Email Institute 2013
- Over 75% of email revenue is generated by alternatives to generic one-size-fits-all email campaigns. For example, trigger email campaigns account for 21% of email marketing revenue. – DMA UK 2013
- Triggered email messages are extremely effective for customer engagement and revenue, as exemplified below.
- Second abandon-cart reminders (a follow-up abandon-cart message to an initial email) garner an average 54% lift compared to just sending one abandon-cart message.
- Browse emails (messages based on categories or products a customer has viewed) achieve a 3.4x increase in revenue compared to other promotional mailings.
- Thank-you emails achieve a 13x increase in revenue compared to promotional mailings.
– Experian Marketing Services 2013
- Marketers rate the following tactics as easiest for email list growth.
- Email to a friend (58%)
- Registration during purchase (50%)
- Social media sharing buttons in email (49%)
– Marketing Sherpa 2013
- 72% of US online adults send or receive personal emails via smartphone at least weekly. – Forrester Research 2014
- Email dominates all other methods of content sharing: 88% of B2B buyers use email to share content. LinkedIn is 2nd (43%) and Twitter is 3rd (35%). – DemandGen 2014
- Email remains a significantly more effective way to acquire customers than social media — nearly 40 times that of Facebook and Twitter combined. – McKinsey & Company 2014
2013 Social Media Marketing Industry Report
Social Media and Sales Quota Attainment
2015 B2B Content Marketing Benchmarks, Budgets and Trends – North America
The Sprout Social Index 2013
Mind the Marketing Gap
2013 Email Market Study
Email Marketing Benchmark Survey 2013
Why marketers should keep sending you emails
Email Marketing Gets Responsive